Environmental, Health, Safety, and Quality
Management Services for Business and Industry, and Federal, State, and
Elements of an ISO 14000 EMS
- Environmental policy Develop a statement of your
organizations commitment to the environment. Use this policy as a
framework for planning and action.
- Environmental aspects Identify environmental
attributes of your products, activities and services. Determine those
that could have significant impacts on the environment.
Legal and other requirements Identify and ensure access to relevant
laws and regulations (and other requirements to which your organization
- Objectives and targets Establish environmental
goals for your organization, in line with your policy, environmental
impacts, views of interested parties and other factors.
- Environmental management program Plan actions to
achieve objectives and targets.
- Structure and responsibility Establish roles and
responsibilities and provide resources.
- Training, awareness and competence Ensure that your
employees are trained and capable of carrying out their environmental
- Communication Establish processes for internal and
external communications on environmental management issues.
- EMS documentation Maintain information on your EMS
and related documents.
- Document control Ensure effective management of
procedures and other system documents.
- Operational control Identify, plan and manage your
operations and activities in line with your policy, objectives and
- Emergency preparedness and response Identify
potential emergencies and develop procedures for preventing and
responding to them.
- Monitoring and measurement Monitor key activities
and track performance.
- Nonconformance and corrective and preventive action
Identify and correct problems and prevent recurrences.
- Records Keep adequate records of EMS performance.
- EMS audit Periodically verify that your EMS is
operating as intended.
- Management review Periodically review your EMS with
an eye to continual improvement.